06 July 2010

How: Matte Lipstick

MAC Lipstick in Please Me (matte finish)
This color is pretty close to what it looks like in real life. It's a bright cool tone pink.

A couple months ago I decided I wanted to find the perfect pink lipstick; one that I could pull off and could easily put on straight from the tube and go. So of course I went to the MAC store by my house because MAC has a crazy selection of lipstick colors. Unfortunately, the sales woman "helping" me really wasn't much help. I was really disappointed because the people at MAC are usually so nice, but not this time. Long story short, the lipstick she insisted I get was Please Me and I just wanted to get out of there so I bought it without realizing it was a matte finish. I got home and hated it. It's too bright for me (I have to be careful with pinks because of the pink and redness in my face) and I hate the finish. Part of me still thinks I should have just returned it, but I didn't and it sat in my draw for a couple months without me ever reaching for it.
When I went on this past vacation, I decided I was going to make this color work one way or another, so the only lipstick I took with me was this one. This forced me to figure out ways to work with it and I've come up with a couple ideas that I hope help you with dealing with any lipsticks you don't like--whether it's the texture or color.
1. Use the lipstick as a stain. First I put chapstick on my lips to help the color go on easier, then blotted. Then I dabbed the lipstick onto my lips (I dabbed it from the tube, but you can also use your finger) and then finished off my either putting a bit more chapstick or lipgloss on (this helps it from drying).
2. Tinted lip balm effect. Again, I started with putting on chapstick, but only a little bit because I didn't blot this time. Then I apply the lipstick right away straight from the tube onto my lips. Then I use my finger to blend the color on my lips.
What are some ways you deal with a lipstick that doesn't work for you?
Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment