02 March 2011

February Hits and Misses

I've decided I like doing this type of collective monthly haul blog. In a way it helps me keep track of what products I've tried out and liked or didn't like, and it lets you guys know what caught my eye this past month.
1. Wet N Wild Natural Blend Lip Shimmer in 102 Sugar: Miss. Way to shimmery. I couldn't even tell what color it was underneath all that shimmer.
2. Almay Intense I-Color shadow for brown eyes: Miss. Funny enough, I didn't even realize I grabbed the right eye color, I just picked the shadows I liked the best. Again, a product with too much shimmer, tons of fall out, and I realized after I had done my eyes, I own colors like this so I returned it. The colors did have good pigmentation though.

As you know, I have been on a liquid foundation hunt for a while. I decided to give up because I like what I've been wearing for my every day makeup (I promise to do an updated foundation routine soon). It doesn't give me a lot of coverage, but my skin has been clearing up so I don't need as much. However, while my skin looks good in real life, it looks just okay in photos, and I have to take engagement photos (tomorrow actually) and wedding photos soon, so I've been desperately trying to find a liquid foundation that will work for me because I think liquid foundations tend to give a more flawless look in photographs.
So I gave 3. Covergirl Clean Makeup (oil control) and 4. Maybelline Fit Me a try. Both of which were misses. Covergirl's was awful. Sorry, but it was cakey, didn't cover, and I was oily within 1 1/2 hours. Yuck. Fit Me however went on very much like Diorskin Nude did, but it broke down within 2 hours as well. :( I was giving up on liquid and decided I was just going to with my MSFN and hope for the best when...
5. Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Airbrush Spray Makeup in Light: HIT!!! I can't believe how lucky I am that I stumbled upon this and it. is. AMAZING! I'm very tempted to considered it my HG liquid foundation. It took me about five tries to figure out the best way to apply this but once I did it looks flawless. It is definitely sheer to light coverage. I think you may be able to build it up to medium coverage but the lightest shade, when built up, is too dark for my skin :( [if only they would make a Fair shade]. I'm an NC15 by the way, so maybe if you skin is darker you can build up the coverage. Anyway, I have to have a very light layer of this over my skin for it to match. This on its own (no powder or concealer) looks like my skin. I applied it to half my face, and you couldn't really see much a difference between this and the no makeup side, BUT...this is an awesome base for my MSFN and when I put that on top, I do get more coverage.
Pros: lightweight, natural looking, easy to apply and blend, long lasting, and holds it own against oily skin! yay!
Cons: does have a weird smell that lingers for a bit which I'm not a fan of, but oh well, and not a
good range of shades.
Neither pro nor con: The spray can. I neither like nor dislike the packaging. It's interesting. I just spray a bit onto a dry sponge (tried wet and dry actually works better for this foundation) and press it into my skin then blend it out. Also, the price. It cost me $15 for 1 oz, which for a drugstore product seems expensive, but if this was a MAC foundation or a Dior foundation, we'd all be jumping up and down and celebrating over the price, so for a foundation that works, I'll spend $15 no problem.
6. Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden: Hit. I like this product a lot. I think it's like a liquid version of MAC paint pot in painterly. (sort of...). I got this right at the end of February though, so I haven't had time to really try it out. I'll let you know what I'm thinking of it as I try it more.
Any of you find something special in February?
Cheers!
p.s. sorry for the long review on the Sally Hansen foundation, but I'm so excited about it!







1 comment: