14 January 2011

Dilema...and Makeup Counter Tips

I went into Macy's today to the Dior counter because I've been hearing really good things about Diorskin Nude foundation. Like usual, I spent a couple days reading and watching reviews on it and it seems likes a good foundation and I wanted to try it. Well it's almost $50 so I was not going to walk into the store, buy the foundation, and go home without trying it and getting a sample first.


On a side note: I recommend you always ask for a sample for a couple reasons: 1) a lot of the time the makeup artist applies the foundation too heavily or with a different method than you do. For me, I apply a very light layer of foundation whether liquid or powder, and when I use a liquid, I use a dry sponge or my fingers. I have tried foundation brushes and I don't like them at all, but that's another story. The point is, you want to apply the foundation your way to see how it works out. 2) For me at least, I want a foundation that fits into my routine. I don't want to have to get a new primer and powder, and maybe even skincare routine, just to make a foundation work, so I want a chance to apply the foundation with my other products I use everyday. 3) Sometimes it takes a few days, maybe even a week, to see if a foundation is going to work for you. It can also take that long to find out if that foundation makes you break out.


Alright, back to my story. All I wanted was to try the foundation and come home with a good size sample to try out for the next week. I got more than I bargained for and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. The makeup artist told me a few things that I've never heard and that seem contrary to what I've been told for years, yet at the same time, seem worth investigating: 1) primer isn't good for your skin because it clogs your pores; 2) I have oily skin because I use oil free products. If, after washing my face, I put on a moisturizer with oil in it, my face wont have to produce oil. Now I know if you have oily skin you still need to moisturize because if you dry out your skin it will produce more oil, but can using an oil free moisturizer really be making my face oily throughout the day? Have you guys ever heard these things? What do you think of them. I may still have oily skin, but I also have acne prone skin and it doesn't make sense to me to put oil on my face. At the same time, my skin has been dryer this winter but is still producing the same amount of oil...? I don't know. I've found a skincare routine that's really been helping me with breakouts and keeping my skin clearer. I don't know if it's worth changing up a skincare routine that is working? What do you guys think? I'd love to hear anything to have to say about this.


Have a great week! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment